Sunday 26 February 2023

Scenario 30: Last Stand

 Having suffered defeat at the hands of the Union Army, the retreating Confederates have left a small (3 units) force behind who will fight to the last man to delay the Yankees. 

The Union force arrives to the South

The US Army rushes the ford to tackle the Irregulars in the wood

US Cavalry veers right to deal with their CSA foe

This gives time for the Infantry to advance unhindered

The US Army crosses the river in force and begins its attack on the redoubt

The US Cavalry are behind the wood attacking the CSA irregulars while the assault of the redoubt gets going in earnest

The attackers suffer heavy losses but have an endless supply of reinforcements

By Turn 11 the CSA are reduced to one unit defending the redoubt

The Last Stand comes to an end on Turn 12

7 comments:

  1. Decisive win by turn 12….that’s good going 👍🏼. Good to see the last of the thirty played. Will you go back and start from the beginning now? 😳 .
    Was there any particular favourites, or games that you’ll always have etched on the memory? Looking back there were a few different styles of game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I contemplated sticking all three CSA units in the redoubt (defence bonus and attack bonus) where they may have lasted until turn 15, possibly. It may have been a bit boring 😁
    There's a very strong possibility of starting at 1 again! When I started this I thought I'd play all 30 games in under a year, ha ha.
    I'll have to think about favourites...

    ReplyDelete
  3. From this viewer’s perspective, one personal favourite is the look of the Risk figure games. Simple but elegant. Also, I liked when you combined OHW onto a grid (Rifle and Sabre period)….plus if you hadn’t started out on Simplicity in Hexes I would never have spotted the rules (gave me a very enjoyable 3-game mini-campaign in January). All round, a very enjoyable and inspiring read ✔️✔️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin!
      I like the Risk figures very much too. Gives it a Boardgame feel which I like. The PW + OHW games have been fun to play and I think I'll do more of those.

      Delete
  4. Well done for getting through the 30 scenarios! It's been fun to follow, and now whenever I am thinking of playing one of them, I will know where to look for an idea of how it might play out.
    For the next project, how about (a) designing your own 'OHW' scenarios on the same sort of principles as Neil Thomas, or (b) playing the major battles of (say) the ACW as OHW-style scenarios? Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David

      Thanks for viewing my OHW games and I'm glad you've enjoyed them.
      I have made a few Portable Wargame Scenarios in the style of Neil Thomas's OHW ones and keep . I like your idea of condensing down real battles to OHW style games; definite food for thought.

      MJT

      Delete
    2. Meant to write, "I keep meaning to put them on Blogger" but got distracted!

      Delete