Sunday 5 July 2020

Scenario 3: Control The River

For this Scenario I used my Fantasy Variant of the Portable Wargame (original by Bob Cordery) and have been tweaking the rules slightly so ended up playing twice! A change I made to the scenario as published in OHW was to roll for initiative rather than allowing one side to always move first.

Back-story: In my 10mm Scale Generic Fantasy World, the Goblins are planning a large attack on the Elves. A Warband is sent out ahead of the main force to take and hold two bridges. The Elves are for warned (by the Eagles of course) and their border guards rush to stop the approaching Goblins. To win the game, a side must be in possession of both river crossings after 15 turns, or when both sides have reached Exhaustion Point EP (1/3 of army destroyed).

Game 1

In the first version of the game (played yesterday) the Goblins had the misfortune to encounter a very possessive Bridge Troll at one of the crossings who stood his ground and stopped them taking control of the right hand crossing. The Elves dominated the left hand crossing.



Game 2

I dispensed with the random events for the second version, however unusually good dice rolling made it a short game with high attrition on both sides.

Fast moving Elves are in the woods on the right

Losses on both sides

Accurate archery takes its toll on the Goblin "cavalry" (they're riding boars)

Goblins rush the bridge but sadly reach EP

The Elves reach EP at Turn 7


Neither side ended up holding both crossings after this bloody affair. The Goblins were being worn down faster so I'm giving it to the Elves. 

The Eagle has landed

5 comments:

  1. Your ten mil figures look super. I have some from Copplestone etc. I must look them out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've never seen the Copplestone 10mm figures in the flesh (as it were) - I'd be interested to see what they look like.

      Delete
  2. Ps are those two p coins used for the bases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5 Euro cents so slightly smaller than a 2p I think

      Delete
  3. The bird, the troll, the trees - so cool!

    ReplyDelete